Monday, January 21, 2013

Asian Sloppy Joe Sliders

UPDATE:  Thank you Ming Tsai!  I made this for Sunday dinner and it was DELISH!!  We've had it for leftovers for lunches and dinners all week. The only change I made to the recipe was that I used Sriracha chili sauce versus sambal oelek.  From what I have read, the sambal oelek adds the same heat without altering the intended flavor.  I'll try sambal oelek next time.

I also served our sliders with a side of asian coleslaw.   The coolness and crispy texture of the coleslaw was the perfect combination with the spicy sloppy joe.  And bonus, I got many many kisses from my grateful husband because of it!

------------------------------------------------------------
I want! I want! I want!  I saw this recipe in Food & Wine Jan-2013 and wanted to run to the store immediately for ingredients.  Having eaten at Blue Ginger, I know that anything Ming Tsai puts together will be amazing.  This recipe actually looks approachable too!  I will be making these THIS week, guaranteed.

Serves 20 sliders

2 tablespoons canola oil 
2 medium red onions, finely chopped 
1 cup finely chopped celery 
3 tablespoons sambal oelek or other Asian chile sauce (I used Sriracha)
2 1/2 tablespoons minced garlic 
1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger 
Kosher salt 
Freshly ground pepper 
1 pound ground chicken thighs 
1 pound ground pork 
1 cup hoisin sauce 
1 cup drained canned diced tomatoes 
1/4 cup fresh lime juice 
20 brioche dinner rolls, split and toasted 
Shredded iceberg lettuce and spicy pickles (optional), for serving 

In a large, deep skillet, heat the canola oil until shimmering. Add the onions, celery, sambal oelek, garlic, ginger and a generous pinch each of salt and pepper and cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are softened, about 8 minutes. Add the ground chicken and pork and cook, stirring occasionally to break up the meat, until no pink remains, about 5 minutes. Stir in the hoisin, tomatoes and lime juice and bring to a boil. Simmer over moderately low heat, stirring occasionally, until thickened, about 20 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.

Spoon about 1/4 cup of the sloppy joe filling on the bottom half of each roll. Top with shredded lettuce and pickles and serve.

The sloppy joe filling can be refrigerated for up to 3 days. Reheat gently before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment